Monday, July 21, 2014

Shock

I'm back after some wifi deprivation in South Africa. After Singapore I headed to Kuala Lumpur on the infamous Malaysia Airlines.

I made it off the plane in one piece.

But Malaysia was my biggest culture shock to date. I'd venture to say that most streets in Kuala Lumpur smell like curry and durian, a spiky fruit that is supposed to have a delicious flavor but a putrid smell. (Durian are forbidden in public transportation and many buildings) It was also my first time in a Muslim country, and I started to feel like my light skin and lack of hijab made me stick out like a sore thumb.

Coincidentally, I was right near the Malaysian Association for the Blind, so I was able to see many people with disabilities out and about in my neighborhood. The streets are full of high stairs, broken walkways, and steep holes, but I was surprised by how well the locals were able to navigate the streets. My favorite organizational visit was at a center that provides wheelchair repairs, employment training, and transportation, among other services. The array of services were impressive, but I was more impressed by the energy among the employees. They had so much to tell me throughout the tour and interview that I had trouble keeping up with them. As the taxi pulled away, I caught a glimpse of them laughing and zooming around in their wheelchairs in the front yard.

The circumnavigation is always an adventure, but I hardly expected that it would take me to a war zone. I'm writing from Tel Aviv, which has been under fire for some time now. The streets of Tel Aviv and Jerusalem have been surprisingly empty because of the number of soldiers deployed and the number of citizens who choose not to leave their homes unnecessarily. It's not the experience I expected, but it's raw and it's real. I'll write more about Israel and South Africa in coming posts.

In the meantime, here are some pictures from a highlight of Malaysia, the famous Batu Caves.







No comments:

Post a Comment